Troubleshooting MAC OS X Java Web Start
Recent security changes released by Apple make using the Java Webstart option on Mac OSX Mountain Lion or higher more difficult. The security changes prevent users from auto-launching JNLP files.
When trying to launch the jnlp file, you are likely to see the following message.
Note: Clicking the Ok button here does not launch the jnlp file, but terminates the launch process.
Solution #1 - Use Java Web Start app to open JNLP file
- 1 Open your Downloads folder and locate the JNLP file (ex. BeIndex.jnlp)
- 2 Right-click (or Control-click) the jnlp file and then select "Open With > Java Web Start.app"
- 3 Click the Open button in the dialogue box which appears to launch JNLP
Solution #2 - Modify the security settings on your Mac
- 1 Click the Apple Menu () button at the top left corner of your computer screen.
- 2 Launch System Preferences
- 3 Select Security & Privacy
- 4 Click the “General” tab
- 5 If necessary, click the lock icon in the bottom left corner to unlock the settings for modification
- 6 Select the "Anywhere" option at bottom of the Security & Privacy window (See image below for reference)
- 7 Click the "Allow from Anywhere" button to confirm your selection
- 8 You should now only see a "Open Confirmation" window when opening jnlp files (example below)